DIY “No Poo” Recipes
In connection to one of my last posts, I described how shampoo damages your hair by stripping your hair of your natural oils. I shared my method of using a cleansing conditioner in replacement of my shampoo, but if you’re trying to reduce plastic and also want to create your own, here are three recipes that you can make at home!
Baking soda and apple cider vinegar: this is probably the most common recipe, but the mixture is very risky because the balance between the two is important. If not diluted, the baking soda can cause skin irritation and strip your hair of its oils.
For the baking soda:
- Mix 1 part baking soda with 3 parts water until it becomes a paste.
- It works best if you put the mixture in an old bottle that squeezes out the product. I’d usually recommend a mason jar, but then the more you use it, the more water will dilute the baking soda even further.
- Wash your hair with the product for 5 minutes.
For the vinegar:
- Mix 1 part apple cider vinegar (or just white vinegar) with 4 parts of water.
- Add essential oils to the mixture if you want to give your hair a good scent.
- Wash your hair with it.
- Rinse with cold water.
DIY Herbal Shampoo: This recipe is a bit laborious, but it smells great and is made of all-natural ingredients.
- Soak a handful of soapberries, shikakay, amla, and fenugreek in a large bowl of water overnight. (Ingredient descriptions and links in full recipe and description.)
- After soaking, boil water with the ingredients until there is half as much water as to when you started.
- Strain and put liquid in a bottle or jar.
Lemon Shampoo and Avocado Oil Conditioner: Because this recipe contains lemons, it might lighten your hair a bit if you’re in the sun a lot.
- Mix 1 part lemon juice and 2 parts water. Add ACV if needed (for dry hair).
- Mix 1 part avocado oil and 1 part warm water